August 9, 2011

An Unnecessary Fixation...

I don't know if you can tell by the vast amounts of posts I've been conjuring lately [tongue in cheek], but I really have been giving my blog a lot of thought lately. To be honest, not much has changed which might explain for my lack of posts. And yet...


I want to return to an older blog, "Wisdom in Thy Youth, Part 3," where I said that I learned something very crucial to my situation. If you remember, with some help from a good friend, I had come to the realization that the more I dwell on my problems (no matter what they are), the worse they seem to get. Makes sense, right? The closer you peer into a microscope, the less you can see of everything else and the narrower your scope is upon your fixation.


Taking my own advice, I haven't been fixing my sights solely upon my situation of same gender attraction. And, as a result, I've been much happier. The problem seems lessened. I don't stress out about it as much or as often.


I know that forgetting your problems isn't easy. I’m not that naïve. I know from experience that forgetting the painful thorn in our sides is not exactly easy or simple. It hurts! It’s there! And in some cases, it seems darn near impossible remove the thorn! And you know what? It may be. But how does ignoring the good and focusing on the bad change or improve anything? The short answer is that it doesn’t.


Speaking of complaining, Elder Holland said, “I have often thought that Nephi’s being bound with cords and beaten by rods must have been more tolerable to him than listening to Laman and Lemuel’s constant murmuring. Surely he must have said at least once, “Hit me one more time. I can still hear you.”


Long story short, nothing will make a problem worse quicker or more efficiently than complaining, bemoaning, and focusing on it and I can honestly say that my life has improved greatly since I’ve tried implementing that into my daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment